The Portage Hike & Bike Trail runs through the centre of Tallmadge, from the city centre to the northern end of the park. The Shaker Median Trail offers access to a variety of parks and trails, as well as a number of hiking and cycling trails.
Most of the way follows the deserted corridor of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, through a predominantly rural landscape, in places heavily forested, with a few small towns along the way, but mostly open spaces.
The intersection is surrounded by a small park, Tallmadge Circle Park, which houses a church, and a large parking lot for cars and trucks.
Also in the park is a relocated monument that once marked the first hut built in 1807 in the community of Tallmadge. The park also houses a century stone, which was placed there on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the first centenary of the city on July 1, 1876. After learning of the age of the house, the town agreed to preserve it as a joint project with the Historical Association. It was inaugurated on August 1, 1905, during the annual Tall Madge County Fair and opened to the public. It was also awarded the National Historic Landmark Award for the best historic house in Ohio, and the state's highest honor.
Tallmadge City Council approved the demolition of the first floor, which was cleared by police in the 1980s, and the construction of a new second floor building.
The first church in Tallmadge was founded in January 1809, when nine settlers met in the Rev. Bacon's cabin and later John Young, who was the cemetery administrator and town conservator until the early 20th century, lived there. The Western Reserve came up with plans to build a religious utopia, but after it became clear that the plans for the settlement would not be realized, he returned to Connecticut.
The first pastor to live in the house was the Rev. William March, followed by ten pastors who followed him and their families. The house, built in 1847 by Frederic Schenkenberger, was the home of his wife Elizabeth Seubert and her family until at least 1888. Mr. Scenkenbergers, born in Germany in 1802, emigrated to America in the early 1830s and married Elizabeth SEUbert and his daughter Mary Ann in 1840, who lived in Tallmadge until 1838.
When the new settlement was surveyed, it included a public square in the center, on which a church and other public buildings were to stand. Although the first buildings were only completed in 1827, the first class three began in 1828. In summer 2010, a roundabout was converted to the Tallmadge Community Center, the oldest public building in the city and the only one of its kind.
The Stahlmühlenweg is part of the bridge path, which is located in the scenic forest park. This limestone path is short-bedded and the plant that connects the paths of the central and western branch. The middle arm of Nimishillen Creek, from where the Middle Branch Trail starts, and the western arm, from where it connects to North Branch.
The Lake Metroparks Greenway Corridor runs for 5 miles through Painesville, Painville Township and Concord Township. The Cleveland Metropolis Lake - to - Lake Trail connects Lake Erie and Lake Park with Lake Michigan via a paved promenade and paved path.
Most of the city is in Summit County, but a very small part of it is in neighboring Portage County. The students of the Tallmadge City School District attend the University of Toledo, the only public high school in Ohio with more than 1,000 students. The city's two neighboring schools, St. John High School and North High, are both neighboring schools in nearby Painesville Township.
The Tallmadge Blue Devils baseball captured its first state championship in school history in 2010, knocking off Defiance, who threw the final two runs in the top of the ninth inning in a 4-3 victory. The baseball team won the 2011 national championship by defeating Maumee Chaminade Julienne 4-1 in the championship game.
Founded in 1807, Tallmadge is Summit County's second oldest city after Hudson, which was founded in 1799. It is home to the University of Akron and Ohio State University, as well as the city of Summit.
The house comprised 12 rooms and was equipped with hand-turned staircases and railings, which were a gift from the builder. A local landowner donated wood to build a church designed and built by the Congregational Church of St. John the Evangelist, a local church. The building, inaugurated on September 8, 1825, is considered the oldest church in the United States and one of the first of its kind in Ohio. For the next 144 years it was used as Cong Reginald Church and is still used today as the seat of the Historical Society of the county.